| 3 comments ]

It would be really, really nice if Juan Martin del Potro took the whole enchilada. I guess a girl can dream. Let’s hope this fortnight is exciting and chalked full of surprises.
-me

Someone finally granted my wishes. Juan Martin del Potro won the US Open singles title over five-time defending champ, Roger Federer 3-6 7-6(5) 4-6 7-6(4) 6-2. I did not watch it because I am superstitious, but
I am so thrilled the 20-year-old Argentine won his first title.

Del Potro is the first Argentine to win the title since Guillermo Vilas did it in 1977. He also breaks up the Federer-Nadal monopoly since Djokovic won the Australian Open in 2008. It is nice to see new blood step up to the plate. Let's hope there are more titles for the kid to come.

(Image: Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images)

3 comments

Anonymous said... @ September 15, 2009 at 12:44 AM

hallelujah!!!! VIVA del Po. I am sooooo happy that nasty queen lost, i hope it is the last we see of him. JMdP is very deserving of the title and i am glad he will be making things interesting at the top. Especailly as he seems like one of the few Argentines who is not on steroids

Denise said... @ September 15, 2009 at 8:40 AM

So true. I think a lot of people of sick of Federer. Hopefully, Del P is a nice compliment to Nadal. Let's hope the Spaniard gets better.

As for the Argentines, were Gaudio, Zabaleta, or Monaco ever on steriods?

Anonymous said... @ September 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Did you see Gaudio at the Open this year?? He is bigger than Canas now, hello

Post a Comment