| 2 comments ]

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga rallied from behind to beat Novak Djokovic in the final quarterfinal of Wednesday evening. The last Frenchman in the draw upset the third-seed 7-6(8) 6-7(5) 1-6 6-3 6-1 after 3 hours 52 minutes of work on the court. The tenth-seed was out for the count until Djokovic came down with a mystery illness and was visibly ill on the court.

According to Djokovic:

It was unfortunate that I couldn't perform on the level that I wanted to in the fourth and fifth set. I don't want to find excuses for my loss, but, you know, I went to vomit and I had diarrhea before the match. Just a terrible feeling.

You know, it's been a great tournament for me, so it's just a bad way to not to be able physically go through the whole match.

…………………………
I had a little problems with the stomach even before the match as I said. No, the big deal I started feeling after third set when I just I couldn't hold on.

After two games I had to go to the toilet. There was no way, otherwise I would throw up on the court. That's when I had to do it.
With the win, Tsonga books a date with the world no.1 Roger Federer, who pretty much dismantled Nikolay Davydenko in four sets, in tomorrow's other semifinal. The two players are 1-1 in head-to-head meetings with the Frenchman winning their last meeting in Montreal last year. Tsonga is trying to be the first Frenchman to win the tournament since Jean Borotra won in 1928. It would be nice to see a Frenchman win the trophy, but Tsonga has two tests to past first.

Wednesday’s Results
Singles Quarterfinals
1 Roger Federer (SUI) def. 6 Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) 2-6 6-3 6-0 7-5
10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) def. 3 Novak Djokovic (SRB) 7-6(8) 6-7(5) 1-6 6-3 6-1

Doubles Quarterfinals
2 D. Nestor (CAN)/N. Zimonjic (SRB) def. A. Clement (FRA)/J. Erlich (ISR) 6-4 1-6 7-6(6)
I. Karlovic (CRO)/D. Vemic (SRB) def. 3 L. Dlouhy (CZE)/L. Paes (IND) 6-3 6-4

Thursday’s Matches
Singles Semifinals
5 Andy Murray (GBR) vs. 14 Marin Cilic (CRO)

Doubles Semifinals

1 B. Bryan (USA)/M. Bryan (USA) vs. M. Kohlmann (GER)/J. Nieminen (FIN)
2 D. Nestor (CAN)/N. Zimonjic (SRB) vs. I. Karlovic (CRO)/D. Vemic (SRB)

Thursday’s Order of Play

Watch Live
Tennis Channel - 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM ET
Tennis Channel - 7:00 PM ET

ESPN2 – 9:30 PM ET
ESPN360 - 7:00 PM ET

(Image: Getty Images/AFP/Paul Crock)

2 comments

Anonymous said... @ January 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM

expect another mystery illness to inflict the frog.

Denise said... @ January 28, 2010 at 9:58 AM

It will be interesting if it happens again.

Post a Comment